With a 89-28 vote by the Illinois House on Friday Illinois is the last state in the nation to allow the public possession of concealed firearms. Now all the Governor has to do is sign it.
With some of the worst gun violence in the nation, Illinois (namely Chicago) has been an embarrassment to the gun control crowd for years. Who would have thought that gangs, criminals, and thugs would refuse to lay down their arms when law abiding citizens had their hands tied by a law that denied them the right to carry concealed weapons?
These criminals are used to being able to carry out their devious deeds without having to worry about a gun owner stopping them. After all, it was against the law for them to carry. How convenient of the state to make a safer work environment for these thugs.
But since a Federal court in December deemed the Illinois refusal of citizens to conceal carry as unconstitutional these lawmakers had a deadline to change their law.
Today it has been reported that this new bill, although not perfect, will finally give Illinois residents the rights they deserved all along.
Here are some of the details of the bill and how it will effect the gun owners of that state.
- There will be certain qualifications as to who will be allowed to carry. A 16 hour firearm training course and background check will first have to be passed in order for a citizen to get a concealed carry permit.
- If the police have a reasonable issue with an individual being able to carry concealed they will have the right to refuse that person a permit. If they person has had 5 or more arrests in the last 7 years or 3 gang related arrests in that same time frame the applicant may be rejected.
- There will also be a CCW review board consisting of 7 members that will be able to handle each appeal to rejected applicants.
- Several public places will still prohibit concealed carry like schools, government buildings, public transit, public parks, playgrounds, Cook County Forest Preserve District grounds, community colleges and universities, casinos and racetracks, amusement parks, zoos, stadiums/arenas.
- Any CCW holder will not be able to carry while under the influence of alcohol unless he/she wants to be charged with a misdemeanor.
- It will cost $150 to obtain the permit.
While Illinois has been VERY obstinate in its willingness to allow concealed carry, at least this is a decent first step toward catching up with the rest of the country. And even while states like New Jersey, New York, And California are doing everything they can to erase the 2nd amendment and what it means, it’s nice to see a court following through on the oath to preserve, protect, and properly interpret our great nation’s constitution.
What do you think about the new Illinois concealed carry bill? Let us know with a comment below.
This expert says you should be hoarding these 37 things now before the coming crisis. He says stores will empty their shelves in just 2 hours and it will be impossible to get these 37 things. Read More here.
NASA is warning that we have 13 months to get ready. See why FEMA has ordered 300 million body bags in the face of what some are calling WWIII. CLICK HERE (sponsored)